Thursday 10 November 2011

Keeping up appearances

That I'm alive? Still actually doing this blog? Sure. I actually hate it when people start off their post, video, whathaveyou with yeah I'm still alive, sorry I haven't posted blah blah blah. Despite commenting on it at this point in time, I will never do that. One because it's a waste of time. Why? Because I actually have a life that doesn't involve thinking about what I should blog about next. I blog when I have something to say.
I am currently abroad.. You could say. It would be awesome to say that im actually in a foreign country on a top secret mission... But alas, I'm not that cool, and it would be too easy to trace me anyway.
Fact is, I'm typing this on my iPod touch ( which is a pain, I might add. So if there's weird spelling things, I'm blaming autocorrect now.) whilst sitting in my hostel in Naples, Italy. One thing that I'm finding is that I almost blend in as a local. Almost. I recently got bored when I was in London (yes, I get around) and dyed my hair a wee bit darker, mostly to even out my roots... But also cause it gave me something to do to try and keep myself awake. Yay for early enough flights that you need to get to the airport at 4 am. ANYWAY... Point, I dyed my hair. That said, most italians are naturally dark haired and dark eyed. What gives me away? My eyes. I've never been able to describe what colour they actually are, cause they seem to change, but they are a mix between blue, green and grey..so, light enough. I've noticed that people will go to talk to me in Italian, make eye contact and sort of pause, and ask English? Well if my backpack with my flag on it didn't give me away, yes.
I went to the grocery store today and the cashier spotted my bag and purposely didn't talk to me, then roughly jabbed the screen once she was done then stared at me. I don't mind being pegged for what I am - a tourist - but just a " ciao " woulda been nice... I know that much Italian. but, I guess that I'm forgetting that customer service isn't as big of a deal in other countries.
I just find it interesting that the locals go to talk to me in a friendly tone, see that I'm not actually a local then act like I'm the biggest pain in their ass. Tourists aren't that bad, are they? heh... I guess you're opinion all depends on whether or not you've worked in retail.

1 comment:

  1. ... I *still* work in retail, and tourists aren't alllllll bad. I've actually met some really awesome ones :) That being said, I've met some duds too. However, I've also met locals who are duds, so that shouldn't count. :P

    ReplyDelete